Please review and correct the information below.

Information for Personal Budget Holders and Self Funders

Click on the sections below to find out more

What is a Personal Assistant?

A Personal Assistant works directly with someone to support them with their daily life.

PAs are employed directly by a person who needs care and support, their family member or a representative.

They may provide support in the home, at leisure or at work.

You can directly employ your own staff to provide care and support services, this might be through a direct payment from the council or NHS, or with your own money.

What does this mean for you?

  • they work for you
  • you decide when you want them to work
  • you decide what you want them to do
  • you have chosen the people supporting you
  • you will have the same people providing your support

Information about employing a PA

Skills for Care

Skills for Care are a national organisation that promotes and supports people working in the health and social care. They have supported people employing their own PA’s and PA’s themselves for many years.

Visit the Skills for Care website to find out more information about employing a PA.


ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. They support good relationships between employers and employees which underpin business success. But when things go wrong they help by providing conciliation to resolve workplace problems.

You can visit the ACAS website or call their helpline on 0300 123 1100 Monday to Fridays, 8am until 6pm.

Local Information and Advice

If you need support with direct payments / personal budgets please call Bolton Council on:

 Tel: 01204 333333


If you need support with a personal health budget please call Bolton CCG on:

 Tel:  01204 462000

Useful links

Last reviewed: 18/11/2019